Staged Dental Implants in Springfield
Dr. Cross is very committed to detail.
Dr. Cross is a specialist who has dedicated years of additional university training and ongoing skill development in order to offer the best and most predictable outcomes with dental implants. Patients choose Dr. Cross in part because of his experience as both a periodontal specialist and an expert in microsurgical techniques. With this background, he is able to perform treatments effectively, gently, and with a high level of precision.
Through years of use in modern periodontal procedures, dental implants have proven to be the longest lasting of these treatments and to provide important benefits that other solutions do not.
Dental implants replace both the visible portion of the teeth (the crowns) as well as their supporting structure (the tooth roots). As a result, they return much of the strength of your original teeth as well as the esthetic appeal of a natural-looking smile.
Dr. J. David Cross offers Springfield patients staged dental implants as well as a same-day option for those who are good candidates. With either treatment, he will conduct the procedure using techniques that speed healing, improve comfort, and create a more durable outcome.
An Overview of Staged Dental Implants
With the staged approach to implants, you may have several separate procedures to restore your teeth:
- After a comprehensive evaluation, Dr. Cross will review with each patient their choices and the benefits of each treatment approach. If a tooth is not able to be saved or retained with sophisticated periodontal procedures, Dr. Cross will review the options regarding tooth removal and replacement. Often times, this includes a bone graft to facilitate and encourage bone growth and regeneration.
- After the bone grafts have healed—typically 6-8 months later—Dr. Cross will place the dental implants.
- Once the bone in your jaw has integrated or bonded with the implants—about 2-4 months later—your general or restorative dentist will attach crowns/bridges to the implants.
Dr. Cross’ Approach to Staged Dental Implants
Your experience will begin in Dr. Cross’ Springfield office with a comprehensive examination, including 3D imaging/CT scanning. This allows him to evaluate the shape, position, and quality of your teeth, roots, and bone. He will use this information to develop a precise microsurgical treatment plan.
Certain factors, such as the quantity and quality of supporting bone or the position of your sinuses and other anatomical sites, can affect Dr. Cross’ approach. In over 25 years of practice, he has placed staged dental implants for patients with a variety of challenges and provided successful outcomes.
In all procedures, Dr. Cross will use a high level of magnification to see significantly more detail than the human eye alone would allow. He has trained and studied extensively with these instruments and protocols, which allow him to:
- Know precisely where to place implants for the best esthetic and functional outcome.
- Work more gently, helping patients heal faster and more comfortably.
- Improve the durability of the dental implants.
Most Springfield patients who receive staged dental implants tell us that they recovery is very easy and comfortable.
On the day of your appointment:
- Dr. Cross will work gently, carefully, and in close communication with you to ensure your comfort.
- After the treatment is completed, Dr. Cross will review with you how to manage the area as it his healing. After providing detailed instructions, his office will also provide written instructions for you.
- Dr. Cross and his staff will provide contact phone numbers should you have any questions or concerns during your treatment.
- The aftercare guidelines will help you with management of the site and ensure a quick and successful healing.
You will return to Dr. Cross’ practice about every 4-6 weeks for the next few months to ensure that you are healing properly.
Return full functionality to your bite and a natural, attractive appearance to your smile with dental implants. Learn more about both staged and same-day options in Springfield by scheduling an appointment with Dr. Cross today at 217-793-0196.