Periodontal Exam in Springfield
A warm and caring approach to evaluating each persons oral and dental needs, Dr. Cross applies a special philosophy of utilizing a microscope so that he is able to see details that are only apparent when using high powers of magnification.
Whether you have noticed a potential oral health problem or your general dentist has referred you to our practice, Dr. J. David Cross can help you to diagnose concerns and plan a course of treatment.
It begins with a periodontal exam at Dr. Cross’ Springfield office. Consider scheduling an appointment if:
- Your gums are red, swollen, tender, or bleeding. These are all potential signs of periodontal disease.
- Your teeth have become more sensitive or appear longer because the gums are receding.
- You are interested in replacing damaged or missing teeth with dental implants.
- You’ve noticed an area of tissue that looks or feels irregular.
- You wish to have a comprehensive examination of your mouth.
Patients rely on Dr. Cross to address these issues because of his gentle, expert, and meticulous approach. He is one of the very few periodontists who have completed coursework at the Microsurgical Training Institute and applied the surgical microscope to their practice. The tools he uses magnify his vision up to 26 times that of the naked eye. As a result, he is better able to address recession, bone loss, tooth loss, infection, and malignant growths.
An Overview of the Periodontal Exam
During your visit, Dr. Cross will evaluate the condition of the soft and gingival tissues in your mouth. He will also examine the bone that supports your teeth and the pockets between the gums and the teeth. The process is comfortable, takes only about 15-20 minutes, and is an important starting point for addressing oral health concerns.
Dr. Cross will also conduct an oral cancer screening to review potentially malignant tissue. Including this process in the periodontal exam gives our Springfield patients greater peace-of-mind about changes they may see in their mouth, lips, and gums. At the conclusion of the screening, Dr. Cross will recommend a treatment plan as necessary.
What Patients Can Expect with a Periodontal Exam
Just as important as the care you receive is the experience you have. Dr. Cross and his staff are committed to a personable, compassionate patient visit without rushing you but instead providing you with a comfortable experience. When you come to the practice, the staff will guide you through any required documentation and then bring you in to meet Dr. Cross. He will take the time to talk with you about the concerns you or your general dentist has and then evaluate these areas of your mouth.
Dr. Cross uses a surgical microscope for the entire procedure to give him better insight into the condition of your gums, bone, and teeth. His extensive professional training supports this work; while the State of Illinois requires 16 hours per year of professional development, Dr. Cross spends an average of 100 hours every year in continuing education.
As part of the periodontal exam:
- Dr. Cross will probe the pockets between your gums and teeth. If these pockets are deeper than a certain standard, you may be at risk for infection and bone loss.
- Dr. Cross will visually inspect your mouth for potential oral cancer.
- Depending on your need, Dr. Cross will review the X-rays your general dentist has provided and supplement them with digital radiographs including possible CT scan imaging. This helps him evaluate the position of your bone and the shape and length of your tooth roots.
Follow-Up Care After the Periodontal Exam
Springfield patients conclude their visit with a consultation about Dr. Cross’ findings. He will explain in detail what he recommends based on his examination. Some of the measures that he may advise include:
- Scaling and root planning. This nonsurgical procedure eliminates infection by removing plaque deposits from the teeth.
- Bone grafting. Dr. Cross uses this approach to build up bone in the jaw, providing greater strength and stability to your teeth.
- Microsurgical connective tissue graft. This microsurgical procedure for the treatment of recession restores lost gingival gum tissue to teeth.
- Dental implants. Dr. Cross permanently replaces damaged or missing teeth with dental implants to restore your smile and bite.
- If you have potentially malignant tissue, Dr. Cross will refer you to a specialist for further treatment.
By providing a clear path to better oral health, a periodontal exam can lead to greater peace-of-mind, comfort, function, and esthetics. Schedule a periodontal exam with Dr. Cross by contacting his Springfield office online or by phone at 217-793-0196.