Whether you have noticed a potential oral health problem or your general dentist has referred you to our practice, Dr. J. David Cross can help you diagnose concerns and plan a course of treatment for gum recession.
It begins with a periodontal exam at Dr. Cross’ Springfield office. Consider scheduling an appointment if:
- Your gums are red, swollen, tender, or bleeding. These are all potential signs of periodontal disease.
- Your teeth have become more sensitive or appear longer because the gums are receding.
- You are interested in replacing damaged or missing teeth with dental implants.
- You’ve noticed an area of tissue that looks or feels irregular.
- You wish to have a comprehensive examination of your mouth.
Patients rely on Dr. Cross to address these issues because of his gentle and meticulous approach. He is one of the very few periodontists who have completed coursework at the Microsurgical Training Institute and applied the surgical microscope to their practice. The tools he uses magnify his vision up to 26 times that of the naked eye. As a result, he can better address recession, bone loss, tooth loss, infection, and malignant growths.
An Overview of the Periodontal Exam
During your visit, Dr. Cross will evaluate the condition of the soft and gingival tissues in your mouth. He will also examine the bone that supports your teeth and the pockets between the gums and the teeth. The process is comfortable, takes only about 15-20 minutes, and is an important starting point for addressing oral health concerns.
Dr. Cross will also conduct an oral cancer screening to review potentially malignant tissue. Including this process in the periodontal exam gives our Springfield patients greater peace-of-mind about changes they may see in their mouths, lips, and gums. After the screening, Dr. Cross will recommend a treatment plan as necessary.