SMILE Technique in Springfield
The most successful implant treatment available today, Dr. Cross has been extensively trained in the SMILE Technique.
The Simplified Microsurgical Implant Lifelike Esthetics (SMILE) Technique is an advanced approach to placing dental implants. The treatment method is the most successful dental implant procedure in the world today both in function and esthetics.
Dr. J. David Cross uses the SMILE Technique for Springfield patients who are good candidates for the treatment and who require dental implants to replace damaged or diseased teeth. Dr. Cross studied under Dr. Dennis Shanelec, who developed the SMILE Technique, at the Microsurgery Training Institute. Dr. Cross has spent more than fifteen years conducting these types of microsurgical procedures for his own patients and invests heavily in professional development so that those in his care can have the best outcomes and experiences possible.
An Overview of SMILE Technique
Dr. Cross may recommend that you have a damaged or diseased tooth extracted and replaced with a dental implant. An implant creates a new, artificial root within the bone. The close bond that develops between the implant and the bone makes dental implants the most durable and lasting restoration available.
When a tooth is extracted using traditional techniques, it may damage the bone that will be used for the support of the dental implant. As a result, the site may need 6-8 months to heal, particularly if you receive bone grafts. You may also need another 2-4 months after you get your implants before your restorative dentist can place a crown. Most patients wear a removable appliance (a tooth that comes out of your mouth) or another less durable restoration during this time so that the missing tooth isn’t obvious.
Dr. Cross offers Springfield patients an alternative option with the SMILE Technique. In the procedure, he:
- Uses microsurgical instruments to conserve more of the bone around the tooth extraction site.
- Uses sophisticated precise microsurgical techniques.
- Places the dental implant during the same visit that he removes the tooth.
- Attaches a custom-fabricated crown to the implant. This crown has the exact same contours as your original tooth. As a result, you can leave your appointment with a complete and natural-looking smile.
The Advantages of the SMILE Technique
Dr. Cross provides the SMILE Technique to Springfield patients because it provides both a better experience and better outcome:
- Eliminate months of waiting between extracting a tooth, placing a dental implant, and attaching a crown.
- Esthetics. Replace a damaged or diseased tooth with a durable, natural-looking temporary crown in a single visit.
- This microsurgical technique is the most successful dental implant procedure in the world today, with a 98% success rate.
- The SMILE Technique allows Dr. Cross to place a dental implant and temporary crown precisely and non-invasively.
During your initial consultation with Dr. Cross, he will conduct a comprehensive examination to ensure that you are a good candidate for the SMILE Technique.
What Patients Can Expect with SMILE Technique
The SMILE Technique requires microsurgery and a periodontist with expertise in this approach. Because Dr. Cross performs his procedures microsurgically, you can enter care with confidence.
On the day of your procedure:
Dr. Cross will gently provide anesthetic to ensure your constant comfort.
- He will use gentle and precise methods.
- The surgical microscope and microsurgical instruments will allow him to choose the best location to place the implant and crown.
Following treatment, you should be significantly more comfortable than you might be with a non-microsurgical approach.Along with the comfort, the esthetics will be superior.
Dr. Cross will set appointments for follow-up examinations so that he can ensure that you are healing properly. Once the jaw bone has bonded with the dental implant, you will visit your restorative dentist, who will attach your permanent crown. By the end of your treatment, you should have the function of your natural teeth and natural esthetics of your smile.
If you have a damaged tooth that is not responding to treatment, you may benefit from a dental implant and the SMILE Technique. Contact Dr. Cross’ office in Springfield for an appointment online or by phone at 217-793-0196.